A delightful, airy 1-bedroom apartment of 25m2 (270 sq ft) with an open-plan kitchen, fully furnished with lots of light and equipped with everything you’ll need for your comfort and convenience. In our Apartment in Montmartre, you can live like a real Parisian, right here in charming Montmartre! While we can’t offer you extravagant views of the city monuments, we CAN offer you a fabulous location in one of the most interesting, lively and historic parts of Paris. When you meander through the winding streets of Montmartre, you will feel like you are back in another time and place! Yet you are only 15 minutes from the center of Paris — for a much more affordable price than central Paris can offer!
As you enter the apartment, you’ll find yourself in the spacious salon (living room) with open kitchen and breakfast bar. The kitchen includes a refrigerator, washer (we also provide a folding rack for drying clothes), microwave/grill-oven, coffee maker, tea pot, toaster dishes and cookware. The breakfast bar can accommodate two people for meals, unless you prefer to dine at the coffee table.
The salon contains a double sofa-bed for occasional overnight guests (sorry – no roommate sharing/colocation possible), and a closet for storage. Three large windows provide lots of natural light and fresh air. A flatscreen cable TV/DVD, free Internet/WiFi, free international calls to 100+ countries world-wide from our landline phone, are already installed.
Off the salon are two doors: one is for the WC/toilet (it is quite typical in France for the toilet to be located in a separate “closet” from the bathing facilities) and hot water tank, the other leads to the bedroom with shower room/sink.
The bedroom, although small, contains a comfortable queen-size bed (140x190cm), shelves for your odds and ends, and a small armoire. A double window provides a lovely view, so typical of Montmartre, of private courtyards and balconies as well as some green space. The bedroom, located off the street, allows for a restful night’s sleep.
Just off the bedroom is the small but updated and well-planned shower room with stall shower and sink; a hairdryer is provided for your convenience.
- General Amenities:
- Linens/Towels/Bedding provided
- Hair Dryer provided
- No Air Conditioning, but we provide electric fans in warm weather, and there is generally a comfortable temperature in the apartment due to the double exposure and good air circulation. Fully heated (electric heat) in cooler weather, of course; you control the temperature!
- 2-burner electric stove
- Microwave/grill combo
- Coffee maker and electric hot-water boiler (for tea)
- Clothes washer (no dryer) and drying rack
- Iron and ironing board
- Broom and dust-mop for cleanups
- All cooking utensils and tableware provided
- Sorry, no dishwasher or oven
- Communications and Entertainment:
- Telephone with free local & international calling to 100 countries
- Flat screen TV with Blueray DVD (feel free to bring your own movies) and cable service
- Suitability and Accessibility:
- No pets allowed
- No smoking allowed (no, not even your guests)
- No elevator, but we are only one flight up from street level
- No parking, but there is a parking garage a 5-7 minute walk away.
Typically Montmartrois in design: simple and a historically classed property. Located in the most desirable quartier in Montmartre — Abbesses — this lovely 1-bedroom apartment is here to make your stay both comfortable and memorable.
Our apartment is on the 2nd floor (U.S.)/1st floor (French); i.e., it’s only “one flight up” from the ground floor. There is no elevator. A digital security code is needed to enter the building; the apartment has a special steel 5-point deadbolt/security door (une porte blindée).
There are only 3 floors, one apartment per floor. Our neighbors are a mix of full-time family residents and renters. We ask that our guests be considerate of all our neighbors with regard to noise levels, especially after 10pm and when coming and going in the staircase and entry. Loud music late at night and parties are not permitted as we want no complaints from our neighbors.
We’re located in the area around Rue Tholozé and Rue Durantin, and Rue des Abbesses and Rue Lepic are just 1 street away; there are two metro stations (Abbesses and Blanche) and several bus lines leading to the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees and the Louvre, all within a 5-minute walk from our door. The area is lively and filled with art studios, restaurants, bars, specialty food shops and small boutiques.
Within 10 minutes, you can wander anywhere in Montmartre, from the Sacre Coeur and the Place du Tertre to the last remaining vineyard in Paris. Artists, musicians and writers have made Montmartre their home and creative muse for centuries. Whereas other parts of Paris were updated in the Haussmannian style during the 1800s, Montmartre still retains much of its original character and charm, along with some more recent art deco buildings. Cobblestone streets wind in all directions on the butte (big hill); smaller buildings and charming houses, many of them with colorful painted details and flower boxes, make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time or that you’re actually in a small French village (which was what Montmartre was, prior to being incorporated into Paris proper) instead of in the capital city of France. Come and see why people love living here!
About safety in the neighborhood: While pickpockets can always be found anywhere in Paris (your host once found this out the hard way), this area IS considered to be very safe; we live in the area also, and if it wasn’t safe we’d live somewhere else!
- Points of Interest in the immediate neighborhood:
- Shopping – rue des Abbesses, the market on rue Lepic (2 min)
- Museums – Musée de Montmartre, Espace Dali
- Restaurants – we’ll share our local favorites, which range from classic French to Thai to Japanese to Italian/Pizza to Seafood and more, but encourage you to experiment! Montmartre has dozens of good restaurants from which to choose.
- Cinema/Movie Theaters – place de Clichy & rue des Abbesses
- Sacre Coeur and Place du Tertre (7 min)
- Moulin de la Galette (2 min)
- Moulin Rouge and Place Pigalle (5 min)
- Metro/RER: metro line 12 is nearest (2 min walk to Abbesses), and will take you to the center of Paris (Concorde) in 15 minutes. Metro lines 4 and 2 are both within a 5-10 min walk, and can whisk you to sights such as Père Lachaise Cemetery, Arc du Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Sorbonne/Pantheon, and much more. Via connections from lines 4 and 12, you can also access the RER lines A, B and C to visit sites such as Disneyland, Versailles and much more.
- Train: Gare du Nord, Gare du l’Est and Gare Saint-Lazare are the closest in proximity. Gare Montparnasse is across town but on the line 12 which stops at Abbesses near the apartment. From these other stations, you can day-trip to Chartres or Chantilly, or travel further into France or elsewhere in Europe (including the Eurostar to London or Brussels) by rail.
- The 80 and 95 buses run north-to-south into the center of Paris (the 80 stops at the Champs-Elysées and the Eiffel Tower, and the 95 stops at Grand Magasins, Opera Garnier, the Louvre and the Left Bank/Saint Germain-des-Prés), and both have stops just a 2-minute walk from the apartment. The 30 bus stops at Place de Clichy, Blanche and Pigalle and can take you to Gare du Nord or Gare du l’Est in minutes. Other buses: 54, 67 and 74.
- Airports: Both Charles de Gaulle/Roissy and Orly airports have train service to Paris via the RER line B which stops at Gare du Nord (closest stop to the apartment).
Montmartre is our favorite part of Paris (Georges, a native Parisian, has lived here for more than 35 years; Lisa, an American from rural New Jersey living here since 2008, says that Montmartre makes her forget she’s actually living in a big city), and we think that after you stay here in your own Apartment in Montmartre, you’ll feel the same.